No one looks forward to their dog’s semi-annual shed. It’s an even bigger problem if your dog is really furry and an indoor dog.
There’s loose fur flying all over the house, sticking to your furniture and clothes, getting into your mouth and food, and worse. God help you if someone in your home is allergic to dogs or has a respiratory problem.
While shedding and the mess it makes is unavoidable, it can be minimized. With the right dog shedding brush, you can remove shedding fur from your buddy’s body before it actually falls out and gets all over the place.
Below are other top contenders for the best dog brush for shedding. Each one has wonderful features for grooming and minimizing shedding and might be the perfect one for you and your dog.
The Best Dog Brushes for Shedding Reviewed
If you’re looking for the best dog brush for shedding, you can’t do better than the Oster Shedmonster. It's a remarkable grooming tool that's capable of de-shedding your pooch without hurting it. It's also great for de-matting and detangling fur.
- Universal size that’s suitable for various dog breeds
- Stainless-steel teeth
- Ergonomic rubber handle for a comfortable grip
- Curved bristles that dig deep into fur without irritating the dog’s skin
If you use this brush right, you can reduce your dog’s shedding by up to 90 percent. The Shedmonster is suitable for dogs of all sizes but works best on dogs with medium to long hair. My favorite thing about this brush, though, is how effective it is at what it does. It goes through the topcoat and undercoat to remove loose hairs without hurting your dog.
On the downside, unlike the FURminator, there’s no hair removal button for cleaning the brush. Meaning, you’ll have to stop after every few strokes to pluck shed fur out of the brush.
- Thousands of positive reviews from buyers
- Comfortable grip
- Pet-friendly design that makes using the brush enjoyable for both the pet and owner
- Made with durable materials
- Prevents skin irritation
- Affordable price
- It doesn’t work that well on short fur
- There’s no release button for getting clumps of fur out of the brush
The Shedmonster is a great product at a great price as long as your dog has medium to long fur. If your pup has shorter fur, you may want to consider another option.
4.8 stars out of 5
The FURminator is the Shedmonster’s top contender for the best dog shedding brush. The design of the brush is similar to that of the Shedmonster, but the FURminator adds greater convenience by adding a fur release button. Press this button, and any fur caught in the brush falls off, and you can get back to grooming.
- Available in different sizes for different dog breeds and fur lengths
- FURejector button that automatically cleans the brush
- 4-inch, rust-resistant comb blade
- Comfortable ergonomic handle for easy handling
This brush can be used to groom your dog when dry or during baths to get rid of all the dirt trapped in the fur.
The FURejector button is a tempting reason to Consider the FURminator the best dog shedding brush, but the Shedmonster beats it in terms of durability. There are reports of the FURminator breaking during use. It’s also more expensive than similar shedding brushes.
- Great for de-shedding dogs of all sizes, regardless of fur length
- Sturdy, non-slip grip
- Aside from de-shedding and de-matting, it’s also great for combing out fleas and ticks
- Rounded teeth that massage your dog’s skin without irritating it
- Works great on dogs with single or double coats
- FURejector button that removes loose fur from the tool
- It costs more than other shedding brushes
- If used heavily, the brush may break
There’s no doubt that the FURminator is a great de-shedding and overall grooming tool. As long as you don’t mind the high price and won’t be using it heavily, it might be the perfect brush for your dog.
4.7 stars out of 5
Here’s another great de-shedding brush that can reduce your bud’s shedding by 90 percent. It’s possibly the best dog brush for undercoat because it goes deep into the fur with each stroke to remove loose hair and minimize shedding.
- Metal teeth and plastic grip
- Suitable for long or short-haired dogs
- Available in a variety of colors
This brush’s affordable price and effectiveness at de-shedding dogs with thick coats make it a top contender for the best shedding dog brush. It’s available in a large size for dogs over 20 pounds and a smaller size for dogs under 20 pounds. Most important, it’s easy to use and can thoroughly groom your dog.
However, if you are not careful when using the brush on your dog with sensitive skin, brush burn can occur.
- If used properly, it can reduce shedding by up to 90 percent
- The comb style of the brush goes deep to de-shed fur without cutting it
- Easy to use
- Reasonable price
- It can cause brush burn if used wrongly
- The brush isn’t as big as most of its competitors, making it less ideal for large dogs
The FurGOpet is a great brush at a great price, but be sure to confirm if its size is ideal for your dog breed before buying it.
4.6 stars out of 5
The Pet Neat Grooming Brush goes deep into your dog's coat to detangle, de-matt, and de-shed it without hurting your pet's skin. It works great on dogs that have either a single or double-layer coat. It also minimizes how much shed fur you have to clean around the house.
- Removable comb for easy clean
- Rounded tips for digging dirt and debris out of your pup’s fur
- Rust-resistant steel comb
- Durable design
The removable comb on the brush makes cleaning it very convenient. It also comes with a free eBook that contains useful dog grooming tips, and even though it’s inexpensive, its build is tough, which makes it resilient enough to handle tough coats without any mishaps.
Keep in mind, though, that it works best on dogs with short to medium fur.
- Detachable comb for easy cleaning
- Massages your dog’s skin as it de-sheds and de-mats the fur
- Convenient anti-slip handle
- It comes with a free 'Four Dog Care E-Book' with all the advice you need on dog grooming
- 100% money-back guarantee
- Might not be ideal for dogs with long fur
The Pet Neat Grooming Brush is a lovely product at a great price but only works well for certain breeds depending on coat length.
4.6 stars out of 5
Dakpets de-shedding brush’s design keeps your dog comfortable while you groom him/her. The brush is vet-recommended for its quality and works well on dogs with short, long, thin, or thick fur.
Its designers claim that regularly grooming your dog with this brush can minimize shedding by up to 95 percent. That’s an impressive claim Considering the brush’s affordable price.
- Works well on dogs with short, long, or medium length fur
- It comes in one size for all pets
- Stainless steel comb with ergonomic rubber grip
- 4-inch, rust-resistant comb blade
- Detachable comb
- Available in various colors
Its detachable comb makes the tool easy to store, but it can come off during use, which can be frustrating. It is at least suitable for all breeds and works well for all hair lengths. The non-slip grip is a nice touch, too, for those long grooming sessions.
- Suitable for all dog breeds
- Asides from de-shedding, it’s also great for combing out fleas and ticks
- Comfortable non-slip grip
- Works well on dogs with a single or double coat
- The mechanism that holds the detachable comb isn’t very strong
This option is a quality product that might have been better if the comb wasn’t detachable.
4.5 stars out of 5
The ThunderPaws grooming brush works great for de-shedding and minimizing the mess of shed fur flying around the house. It comes with a high-grade stainless-steel comb that rakes out shed fur and leaves your dog’s coat looking pristine.
- Works well on dogs with long or short hair
- Available in one size for all dogs
- Stainless steel 4-inch comb
- Reduces shedding by up to 90 percent
Thunderpaws is built tough. Just feeling its weight in your hands, you’ll know it’s going to last for years. Its ergonomic handle makes it comfortable to use for long periods, and its body design is sturdy enough to survive the grooming of multiple dogs in a sitting.
It might not be right for you if your dog is a smaller breed or has sensitive skin, though. This isn’t the gentlest brush in my roundup.
- Durable materials and build
- Affordable price
- Non-slip rubber handle for a comfortable grip
- Money-back guarantee
- Not ideal for small dogs or dogs with very short fur
The ThunderPaws is a great grooming product as long as your dog is a medium to large breed that has a thick fur.
4.6 stars out of 5
This simple brush, with its comfortable wooden handle, effectively and safely de-sheds your dog. There are no issues with the brush damaging fur or skin, and it also works great for removing debris and matted fur from your pet’s coat.
- Made in the US
- Suitable for short and medium-length fur
- Patented comb design.
- Lifetime replacement warranty.
- Wooden handle and carbon steel comb
- Available as a 2.5, 5, and 10-inch brush
In the right hands, this brush can reduce shedding by up to 95percent. The wooden handle makes for a convenient grip while cleaning your dog. You can get one in a size that best matches your dog’s grooming needs.
However, only people with pets with short or medium length fur can enjoy using this brush. It doesn’t work very well on dogs with longer, finer hair.
- Unique design
- Works quickly
- Protects your dog’s sensitive skin
- Lifetime warranty
- Not suitable for all fur types, especially long, fine fur
If you want a unique looking de-shedding brush for your dog, the SleekEZ is the one, but it won’t effectively de-shed your dog if he/she has long, fine hair.
4.4 stars out of 5
Looking for the best dog comb for shedding? The Shiny Pet Dog Comb is your answer!
Depending on the type of fur your dog has, or what part of its body you’re de-shedding, you can use the part of the comb with fewer teeth or denser teeth. It works great on dogs with medium to long fur and is convenient to use.
- Rounded comb teeth to protect your dog’s skin
- Comfortable non-slip handle
- Water-proof design
- Durable materials
The anti-scratch teeth on this comb take care of fur as much as it takes care of your dog’s skin. It massages the skin, making for an enjoyable grooming experience for your dog. It is a bit tedious to use, though, and when using the comb on a large furry dog can quickly become tiring.
- It comes with a free e-book that teaches you how to get the best grooming results
- Lifetime replacement or money-back guarantee
- De-sheds and de-tangles fur, and massages your dog’s skin
- Ergonomic, non-slip handle
- Its design may make combing a large dog tedious
If you’d rather use a comb instead of a brush to de-shed your dog, you can’t do better than the Shiny Pet Dog Comb.
4.5 stars out of 5
With less than $10, you can get this wonderful and easy to handle brush for de-shedding your dog. The bristles are curved wire pins that slide through fur and massage your dog’s skin. With a few strokes, you can remove shed fur, detangle hairs, comb out debris, and distribute your pup’s natural oils to achieve a gorgeous looking coat.
- Easy to grip plastic handle
- Wire pin bristles
- Available in multiple sizes for various dog and fur types
My favorite thing about this brush is its simplicity. It works like a normal human hairbrush, but it’s designed to cater to the unique grooming needs of dogs. It is also suitable for various dog breeds of all sizes.
Having to pluck shed fur out of the brush can be a chore, though. I wish it had a fur-release mechanism like the FURminator.
- Great for fluffing the coat
- Simple to use and maintain
- Suitable for large and small dogs
- Works on all fur types
- Tough bristles that work on the coat without hurting your dog’s skin
- Lifts out loose hair and debris.
- Super affordable price
- Cleaning out fur from the brush during use can slow down the grooming process
If you want to save money, this inexpensive grooming tool gets the job done. Its durable design also makes it a good investment.
4.5 stars out of 5
Deshedding Brush Buying Guide
Why Do Dogs Shed?
Shedding is completely natural. It’s only a problem if your dog sheds and itches excessively.
Your dog sheds its fur to get rid of damaged or old hair and grow a new shiny coat. Certain dog breeds also shed their coat in response to changes in the weather.
For instance, a German Shepherd sheds its summer coat for a thicker winter coat that’ll keep him warm during the cold season. He will shed this coat in summer and grow a lighter coat to cope with the heat of summer days. Even smaller dogs with short hair like Beagles and Pugs can shed an incredible amount of hair.
Simply put, when and how much your dog sheds will depend on the time of the year.
The more your dog sheds, the more fur you’ll have flying around the house, creating a nuisance. You can keep this to a minimum by using a de-shedding brush to groom your dog and get rid of loose hairs before they fall out.
What Would Make a Dog Shed Excessively?
If your dog sheds excessively (more than it normally should), it can be due to a topical bacterial or fungal infection. It may also be due to your dog's diet, high levels of stress, or a medical problem.
If your dog isn’t getting the right balance of nutrients in his diet, the shedding will increase. This can be easily rectified by feeding your dog with quality pet food.
If the shedding is due to an infection, your dog will go bald in certain spots. The bald areas may have an inflamed look, or bleed, or ooze a discharge. Your dog will also likely chew and itch such spots. If you notice such, you should contact your vet ASAP.
Bald patches on your dog can be caused by the following:
- Excessive itching, chewing or licking
- Fungal or bacterial infections, like a yeast infection
- Fleas, lice, mites, and other parasites
- Food-related allergies
- Liver, kidney, thyroid or adrenal disease
- Pregnancy or lactation
- Bad reaction to medications
- Being exposed to a corrosive or irritating substance
Contact your vet if the bald spot or skin irritation leads to bleeding sores, scab, bumps, rashes, pus, or other discharge. If any of these continue for more than a week or begins to spread, seek professional help.
How to Prevent Dog Hair Shedding
As we’ve mentioned, shedding is natural and can’t be stopped, but you can keep it to a minimum by doing the following:
- Brushing your dog
Brushing your dog’s fur at least once a day will get rid of loose hair before it gets a chance to fall out and make a mess. Remember to use a dog brush that doesn’t hurt or irritate your pet’s skin.
- Use a de-shedding tool
There are de-shedding rakes, brushes, and combs. Unlike regular brushes, a de-shedding brush is designed to go into your dog’s undercoat and remove loose dog hair. It’s like using a brush, but far more effective at minimizing shedding because the bristles of the brush or comb are specially designed for de-shedding.
- Add fatty acid supplements to your dog’s diet
Your dog’s diet greatly affects the state of his coat. A lack of fatty acids will lead to lackluster or weak fur, which will fall out faster. You can add this nutrient to your dog’s diet by feeding him natural fatty acid supplements regularly.
Also, make sure to feed your dog at the right time every day with the right quantity of food.
- Minimize itching and scratching
If you notice your dog itches a lot, it may be due to parasites or a topical infection. Take immediate action against such symptoms by treating your dog. You can give your dog a bath with an antifungal/antibacterial/anti-parasite shampoo.
There are also powders and sprays you can use to eliminate such infections and soothe your dog’s itch.
- Regular checkups
By taking your dog for regular checkups, the vet will be able to identify skin or shedding issues and treat them before they become a major problem.
There are a variety of de-shedding tools to choose from for your best friend, but if you want one that ensures a healthy and beautiful coat without hurting your dog, be sure to pick one from our above list of best dog shedding brushes.
Just remember that the best dog brush for shedding will depend on your dog’s size, skin sensitivity, and fur type.
The Oster Shedmonster is a great choice for most dogs and owners, not just because it’s affordable, but also because it’s pet-friendly, durable, and easy to use.
Want to see more grooming tool? Check out our roundup post of all-around best dog nail clippers in the market today.